Pero Stojnic: “The 20th World Crossbow Championship will be the best organized IAU competition so far!”
A few days before the beginning of the 20th World Crossbow Championship in “Field” and “Match” divisions the IAU President Pero Stojnic shared his expectations of the large-scale event and appealed to all the athletes. All of this and much more is available in the exclusive interview!
- Mr. President, it’s not your first time in Ulyanovsk, you’ve visited the city several times already, to your mind, how successful is the choice of the venue for the 20th World Crossbow Championship in “Field” and “Match” divisions?
- So far, I have visited Ulyanovsk twice. Both times I went to the venues of the 20th World Crossbow Championship in "Field" and "Match" divisions. Both venues are well chosen and will provide all the necessary conditions for the Championship.
- You’ve rather highly evaluated the level of the preparation of the sports stadiums, hosting the competitions of the World Crossbow Championship, and what is the most memorable to you in Ulyanovsk? Have you managed to see any of the places of interest during your stays there? If not, what would you like to see and visit in Ulyanovsk?
- During my visit to Ulyanovsk, I evaluated both venues and the staff that is working to prepare this great sport event. In 2018, there were preparatory and testing competitions for the 20th World Crossbow Championship in "Field" and "Match" divisions: the Russian Championship in Field and Match crossbow, as well as in archery. The organization of all these competitions was excellent. On that occasion I has a trip to Ulyanovsk, across both bridges of the Volga River. I didn't see much and I hope to visit some of the sights during the 20th World Crossbow Championship: the Memorial Museum of V.I. Lenin, the Museum of Civil Aviation History, Ulyanovsk Union of Artists Art Gallery and some of the parks.
- IAU has entered a modernizational stage concerning the rules, organization of ongoing work, the way the competitions are conducted. In your view, how successful is the process at the moment? What has already been done? What things should additional attention be paid to?
- Yes, many actions have been taken by the IAU Executive Committee to modernize the IAU. We have adopted over thirty documents to modernize our sport. We cannot do all this without the help of staff at the IAU office under the guidance of Secretary-General – Mr. Valery Ashikhmin. The layout of the IAU website has been modernized. The information on this page is updated daily. The number of visitors is constantly increasing. I'm satisfied, but there is much more to do.
- What are your expectations of the 20th World Crossbow Championship? What will this tournament be remarkable for, in your view?
- I expect this to be the best organized IAU competition so far, a spectacle for the crossbow family and the citizens of Ulyanovsk.
- Could you suppose, which countries will probably be the main rivals for the titles of the winners at the 20th World Crossbow Championship in “Field” and “Match” divisions? Which IAU national federations traditionally show high results in each division?
- There are traditionally strong teams in our sport and it is difficult to predict anything. As a host, I believe that the Russian team will live up to the expectations and win the most medals.
- How much are crossbow shooting competitions predictable in general? Maybe, some of the national federations, that are not considered to be leaders, will show surprisingly high results at the 20th World Crossbow Championship?
- Crossbow shooting competitions are not predictable. Many factors are important for success of an athlete. Even the most experienced stars of our sport can slip away due to tremor and some other aggravating factors. Placement is decided by the millimeter distances of the arrows. I am very pleased with OC's efforts to ensure that new countries are represented. The number of competitors in the Guests category will be surprisingly large. Thanks Valeriy for that.
- What would you wish to all the crossbow shooters the day before the beginning of the 20th World Crossbow Championship?
- I want all crossbow athletes to feel comfortable and enjoy their performance. I want them to meet athletes from other countries, to make unforgettable friendships. Crossbow sport brings people together. The organizer has prepared excellent conditions to achieve top results. Good luck to everyone!