Pero Stojnic: “What does not kill you, makes you stronger.”
Due to a difficult situation in the world and the coronavirus pandemic, when boundaries between countries are closed and transport routes are being blocked, the International Crossbow Shooting Union (IAU) has to take a tough decision – all the IAU controlled competitions will be cancelled in 2020. Read more in the interview with the IAU President Pero Stojnic.
- What is your opinion about COVID-19 situation? How many tournaments will be canceled?
- Members of the IAU Executive Committee have actively communicated about COVID-19 situation in Europe and around the world. We have followed the news and information provided by the World Health Organization and various other sport federations around the world. After a thorough examination of all the facts, the IAU Executive Committee has decided to cancel all the IAU controlled events in 2020. This includes all crossbow competitions: the European Championship, World Cups and World Cup Finals. For the same reasons, the planned courses for judges and coaches are also canceled.
My attitude towards this is the same as of the other members of the IAU Executive Committee. It was not an easy decision. However, led by the thought that lives and safety of our closest friends are more important than a competition, we have decided that the cancellation of this year’s events is the best solution in these circumstances.
- How negatively can the situation with coronavirus affect the entire sports season?
- At this point, it is hard to say how far the negative effects will go. It is hard to foresee the future and the consequences of COVID-19. Sports industry makes up around 2% of the EU GDP, which is around 300 billion euros. COVID-19 situation will for sure have a significant effect on sports in general, especially on future development. Olympics and other championships and sports events have already been rescheduled for the next year or postponed to later dates.
Most athletes are in home isolation and cannot practice. Doing any kind of sports is extremely important for any individual and any serious dedication to sports requires continuity. This continuity has been broken by COVID-19. In the near future this will have a negative effect on the work of young athletes, especially on the number of new members in any sports club. Just as an example, all the competitions in Croatia have been canceled and sports clubs had to cancel all the trainings. Our crossbow sport is in the same situation as other sports. All the mentioned above can be applied to our athletes.
Opinions about COVID-19 situation differ. We cannot be sure for how long the pandemic will continue. COVID-19 emerged in China but now the situation is not as bad as it was a few weeks ago, so there is hope. I must point out that in this kind of situation we must pay attention to our health. We have to follow the recommendations of the World Health Organization and national health centers and stick to preventive measures.
- What would you like to say to all our athletes?
- Dear crossbow shooters and all other athletes, in Croatia we stick to the saying “What does not kill you, makes you stronger.” If we are careful enough, we will survive this situation. Unfortunately, some people still do not take the situation seriously. Take care of our elders, which are in greater risk of getting the virus. As athletes, please be disciplined, fighting COVID-19. As one does not forget how to ride a bicycle, you will not forget how to do crossbow shooting. You will, hopefully soon, have it again in your hands. Hoping that I will see you soon at a shooting range, I wish you all the best, especially health.